I am using StarHub MaxMobile SurfLite plan. A USB modem device that comes with the plan is supported on Mac and Windows OS bydefault.
I use Ubuntu and like to work on ubuntu than windows. It was very troublesome for me to change to windows whenever I needed Internet access. I was fed up with doing back and forth in windows and ubuntu OS. And desperately wanted to use my USB stick on ubuntu.
My previous USB stick was ZTE MF628. And I don't know how to use it on ubuntu. If anyone knows it, I will appreciate if you post how to make it work on ubuntu.
When I renewed my contract with StarHub, I got new USB stick Huawei E1550 that worked on ubuntu without any hurdles.
Step by Step guide to use Huawei E1550 USB stick on Ubuntu:
1. Plug in Huawei E1550 USB modem to USB port. You can notice its icon is loaded on Desktop.
2. Type following command at command prompt:
$ gksu gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/15-huawei-e1550.rules
3. It will open gedit. Type following lines in it and then save it and close the file.
RUN+="/lib/udev/modem-modeswitch --vendor 0x12d1 --product 0x1446 --type option-zerocd"
4. Restart the computer. After restart click on "Network connection" icon in the top panel. You will see new menu item under "Mobile Broadband" category.
5. Click on that new entry. It will open a New Mobile Broadband Connections dialog. Click Forward to continue.
6. Select you country (Singapore in my case) and click Forward. Then select service provider from the list and click forward. Then choose your Billing plan and click Forward. Then finally Click on Apply to save setting.
It will connect you to the Internet. Enjoy, hurdle free Internet connectivity on ubuntu using USB Modem (Huawei E1550).